As if having unbearable cramps isn’t bad enough, most women are forced to have to deal with acne that never fails to pop out when it’s that time of the month.
Period acne as it is popularly called occurs at about the same time every month and is typically seen around the jaw line, chin and neck region.
Hormonal/period acne usually occurs as a result of hormonal imbalances which could be precipitated by:
- Stress whether emotional or physical
- Physical overactivity/inactivity
- Low quality diet
- Poor sleep
A rise in hormone levels stimulates oil production from the sebaceous glands, which results in clogging of the pores and pimples.
Drug treatment of hormonal acne includes products containing benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, spironolactone and birth control pills. There are also natural methods of combating hormonal acne and they include:
- Facial cleansing: wash your face twice a day with a mild cleanser to keep pores free of dirt, oil and makeup.
- Moisturize: A non-comedogenic oil-free moisturizer should be applied to areas of the face that tend to feel dry
- Diet: Dairy foods especially skim milk should be avoided. This can be replaced with almond milk. Also, stay away from high glycenic foods such as white rice, pasta and white bread.
- Exercise more: Exercise has the ability to increase circulation which can help reduce body inflammation.
- Stress level reduction: This can be achieved through relaxation techniques such as yoga and massage.
If the natural techniques fail to resolve the acne, medications such as the ones listed above should be considered.
I hope this post was helpful.